✔ Are available
4.3 (24 rated)
Buy Ampicillin 250 mg 500 mg online over the counter
Shelf life: until 04.2022
Manufacturer: Cipla Limited.
Active Ingredient: Acillin
In Stock (28 packs)
What is Ampicillin?
Ampicillin is an antibiotic from the penicillin group, which has a bactericidal effect against gram-positive and gram-negative microorganisms. The drug is prescribed for bacterial infections of various origins and localization.
Composition and form of release
Ampicillin is sold in the form of tablets, granules for suspension and powder for injection.
The main active ingredient in almost all forms of the drug – ampicillin trihydrate (Ampicillinum) – is a beta-lactam component that can be destroyed by bacterial penicillase. Depending on the form of release of the drug, its composition includes additional components:
- capsules 250, 500 mg: stearic acid, sodium salt of lauryl sulfuric acid, stabilizer.
How does the drug work?
Ampicillin is a semi-synthetic antibacterial drug with a wide spectrum of action. Effective against staphylococci, streptococci, protea, salmonella, Klebsiella, Escherichia coli.
The drug is not effective against staphylococci, forming penicillinase, which blocks the activity of the active component.
When identifying insensitive strains, resort to combination drugs containing enzyme inhibitors. For example, ampicillin preparations with sulbactam (Unazin, Sultasin) stop the production of penicillinase, leaving the bacteria defenseless before the antibiotic.
- Oral ampicillin is not destroyed in the acidic environment of the stomach and is absorbed in the intestine.
- The maximum concentration in the blood reaches 2 hours after administration, with injection, faster.
- The substance penetrates almost all biological fluids of the body, most concentrated in the urine.
- It is excreted mainly by the kidneys, partly by the liver, in lactating women it is excreted in breast milk.
- It does not have a cumulative effect even with prolonged use.
Indications for use
What helps? Ampicillin is prescribed for the following diseases and conditions:
- skin infections: erysipelas, impetigo, dermatosis;
- diseases of the nasopharynx: pharyngitis, tonsillitis, sinusitis, scarlet fever;
- pathology of the respiratory system: bronchitis, pneumonia;
- diseases of the genitourinary organs: pyelonephritis, cystitis, cervicitis, gonorrhea, chlamydia in pregnant women;
- abdominal organs: cholangitis, cholecystitis, peritonitis;
- inflammatory processes of infectious etiology in the ear;
- intestinal infections;
- pasteurellosis, listeriosis;
- dysentery, typhoid fever, salmonellosis;
The medicine is contraindicated in the following cases:
- disturbances in the liver (for intramuscular injections);
- hypersensitivity to the penicillin group of antibiotics;
- lymphocytic leukemia;
- Infectious mononucleosis.
Also, ampicillin is not used to treat newborns up to 1 month old.
Instructions for use ampicillin for adults
Capsule and tablet forms are taken orally one hour before meals. For patients over 18 years of age, 2 tablets per day are prescribed at 250 or 500 mg. Depending on the type and severity of the disease, the number of doses can be doubled, but the daily dose should not exceed 4000 mg. For example, with urethritis caused by gonococci, the patient takes 3.5 grams of ampicillin per day. Dosages of tablets and capsules for adults are indicated in the instructions for use of ampicillin.
Reception of ampicillin can provoke pathological reactions of the body:
- allergic rhinitis, urticaria, Quincke’s edema;
- peeling and itching of the skin;
- gastritis, abdominal pain, dysbiosis, nausea with vomiting, diarrhea, enterocolitis;
- glossitis, stomatitis;
- nephropathy and nephritis;
- a drop in the level of leukocytes and platelets in the blood;
- vaginal candidiasis;
- depression, increased anxiety, aggression, cramps;
Rarely, the drug causes a maculopapular rash on the skin, fever, dermatitis, erythema, anaphylactic shock.
If side effects develop while taking ampicillin, the dosage was most likely incorrectly calculated. In this case, you need to consult a doctor to adjust the treatment regimen or replace the drug.
To eliminate the consequences of an overdose, you need to rinse the stomach, drink adsorbents or laxatives: they will accelerate the removal of the substance from the body.
Symptomatic treatment is prescribed depending on the nature of the reactions. If necessary, dialysis is performed in a hospital setting.